Caramelised Ginger Balsamic
Prep time: 30 minutes
Spice up your Christmas with some of our favourite festive recipes. Have a family bake off- make up a score board to mark texture, presentation, aroma and flavour. Each candidate receives the same ingredients and must score each other with marks out of 10! Tally up the winner who will a prize of your choice!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, plus 1/2 cup more for coating
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoon Lirah caramelised ginger balsamic
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 190 degrees.
- Cream the butter and 1 3/4 cups sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed.
- Reduce speed to low and add the eggs, molasses, ginger balsamic vinegar, and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and pepper.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Beat until incorporated. Divide the dough into 3 equal portions.
- Place each portion on a sheet of plastic wrap and form into a 12-inch roll, 2 inches in diameter. Wrap and chill for 45 minutes. Slice each log into disks, 1/2 inch thick. Dredge in the remaining sugar. Place on aluminium foil, 2 inches apart. Bake until crinkly around the edges, about 14 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then transfer to wire racks.
Option: Add two biscuits together by combining some whipped cream and strawberry jam in the middle. The Christmas version of a scone!