Prep time: 5 minutes
This recipe gives a Lirah “twist” to this popular cocktail that usually consists of five ingredients – white rum, sugar, lime juice, soda water & mint. The addition of Lirah Caramelised Lemongrass Balsamic adds zest, while the ginger brings a punchy kick! Fresh and fruity this drink is not just for Summer! For best flavour start preparing your sugar syrup a few hours ahead (or even the night before!)
For the Sugar Syrup:
- 250ml water
- 100g sugar
- 4 slices fresh ginger, approx. 1/2cm thick
- Handful fresh Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 fresh lemongrass stalk, thinly sliced
For the Mojito:
- 100ml white rum, choose your favourite
- 60ml of sugar syrup (see above)
- 40ml Lirah Caramelised Lemongrass Balsamic
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- Handful fresh mint leaves
- Soda water
- Lemongrass stalks & lime, to garnish
- For the Syrup: Place water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Take off the heat and add lemongrass, ginger and lime leaves. Set aside for a few hours before straining to allow flavours to develop. Note: 60ml of syrup will make 4 drinks. The rest can be stored in the fridge for 2 weeks or used for another round!
- For the Mojito: Divide cooled and strained syrup, Lirah Caramelised Lemongrass Balsamic, mint, lime quarters and white rum between 4 traditional highball glasses. Muddle the mint and lime to release the flavour.
- Add a generous amount of ice and top each glass with soda water. Stir to make sure everything is well combined.
- Serve immediately garnished with lemongrass stalks, lime wedges and extra mint.