Prep time: 5 minutes
Seared, pink-in-the-middle tuna steaks with a combination of toasted sesame seeds and honey is a flavour combination that just works so well. Tasty and quick to prepare you will want to cook this dish again. Mix it up by trying different sides from salad to steamed greens, home-made chips to creamy mash – so many options!
- 4 fresh tuna fillets, at room temperature
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2/3 cup Lirah Caramelised Honey Balsamic
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Sprinkle the tuna fillets with salt, pepper and toasted sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a small saucepan. Stir in the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add the Lirah Caramelised Honey Balsamic, soy sauce and honey and stir over medium heat until reduced by half.
- Heat oil in a non-stick fry pan over medium to high heat. Add the tuna and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side for a pink centre.
- Serve tuna immediately, drizzled with the Carmelised Honey Sauce and your choice of sides.
Note: Tuna will continue to cook slightly after you take it off the heat. Cook for longer than the suggested time if you prefer it to be more “well-done”.