Australian White Balsamic
Prep time: 20 minutes
Strawberry ice cream has always been a family favourite and we’re loving this twist of adding Lirah White Balsamic Vinegar which gives a lovely tang. Use the juiciest red-ripe strawberries you can find, to add the most flavour, and you’ll have a refreshing warm weather dessert.
• 300ml milk, full cream
• 300ml double cream
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• 3 large egg yolks
• 100g caster sugar
• 600g ripe strawberries
• 4 tablespoons icing sugar
• 4 tablespoons Lirah Australian White Balsamic
• Squeeze of lemon
1. Heat the milk and cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan until it just reaches the boil. Remove from the heat and add vanilla. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together for 1-2 mins until pale and creamy. Slowly add the warm milk and cream mix to this, whisking continuously as you pour.
2. Put a large bowl in your sink & surround with water and ice cubes. Wash out the saucepan, then pour the cream and egg mix into it. Warm over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, approx.10-12 mins (be sure not to let the custard boil or it will curdle). As soon as it’s thick enough, pour it into the bowl set in iced water. Keep stirring the mixture for a couple of mins, then stir regularly until cooled. Cover and put in the fridge.
3. Meanwhile, slice the strawberries and place them in a food processor with the icing sugar and balsamic. Process to a purée. Check the sweetness now – you may need a little more icing sugar to sweeten to your liking.
4. Optional step – strain the purée through a fine sieve over a small bowl to get rid of the seeds.
5. When the ice cream custard has chilled, stir in the strawberry purée and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Churn in an ice cream machine following manufacturer’s instructions. It will still be quite soft. Put in a container, cover with cling wrap and place in the freezer. Allow at least 12 hrs to freeze well.
6. Take the ice cream out of the freezer about 15 mins before serving to soften. Serve with fresh strawberries and drizzle with Lirah Caramelised Strawberry Balsamic for a super strawberry hit!
Note: If you don’t have an ice cream machine, pour the mixture into a container and put it in the freezer. Take it out of the freezer every couple of hours and beat well to break up the ice crystals. You want to end up with a smooth, creamy mixture.