- 1 tsp grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 Tbs whole black Tellicherry peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp. Sea salt
- 1 Tbs. finely minced fresh shallot
- 1 cup Lirah Grand Reserve Chardonnay Verjus
- 2 Tbs. closely snipped fresh chives or chive blossoms
In a small, heavy-based skillet, heat the oil until very hot. Add the peppercorns, reduce the heat to medium low, and toast the peppercorns, swirling frequently, until aromatic, about 5 minutes. Pour the hot peppercorns onto a cutting board to cool. Using a blunt object (such as the bottom of a clean skillet or a meat mallet), crush the peppercorns coarsely but evenly. Put the crushed pepper into a nonreactive bowl and add the salt, shallot, and Verjus. Stir well and then allow too steep for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or in the refrigerator; the sauce will darken over time. Pour a little Verjus sauce on the grilled oysters and garnish with the snipped chives.