- 4 large firm pears, such as Beurre Bosc
- 500 ml water
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1/3 cup Lirah Vincotto
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 2 strips orange rind
1. Peel, core and quarter the pears.
2. Place the water, caster sugar, vanilla, lemon and orange rinds, juice and Lirah Vincotto into a medium-sized saucepan and bring to the boil.
3. Place the pears in the liquid, reduce to a low heat and cook for around 30 minutes until they are cooked through but still firm.
4. Remove the pears from the saucepan and reduce the poaching liquid until syrupy. Be careful as the syrup will also thicken slightly as it cools.
5. Serve the Lirah Vincotto Poached Pears with vanilla ice cream or yoghurt and a drizzle of the poaching syrup.
Note: The pears can be kept for days covered in their liquid.