Prep time: 55 minutes
In this recipe Sherry Vinegar keeps the chicken tasty and moist and it is an excellent choice for making a flavoursome gravy – just thicken the Sherry Vinegar infused pan juices with some flour and chicken stock.
• 1.75kg whole chicken
• ¼ cup Lirah Grand Reserve Sherry Vinegar
• 4 tablespoons plain flour
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon Lirah Grand Reserve Sherry Vinegar
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
• 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
• ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Combine Garlic Paste ingredients in a small bowl, stir until combined and set aside.
3. Now working with your chicken, carefully lift the skin from the breast taking care not to tear it. Using your fingers spread the Garlic Paste evenly over both sides of the breast towards the legs. Place on rack in large roasting pan.
4. Bake chicken for 45 minutes.
5. Remove chicken from the oven and pour over Lirah Grand Reserve Sherry Vinegar. Return to the oven and bake a further 45 minutes (or until juices run clear).
6. Once cooked transfer the chicken to a chopping board, cover loosely with foil and allow to stand for approx. 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile skim the fat from the pan juices. Now whisk in the flour and cook over medium-high heat, continually whisking for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and reduce heat to a simmer, whisking until thickened approx. 5 minutes.
8. Carve the chicken and serve with roast veggies and the Lirah Grand Reserve Sherry Gravy.