Prep time: 15 minutes
A rich, home-made tomato soup screams Winter comfort food, the addition of Lirah Gourmet Aged Balsamic adding a delicious tartness. Served with cheese toasties this is the ultimate weekend dinner that will be on the table in just over 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
- Salt & freshly cracker black pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons Lirah Aged Gourmet Balsamic
- ½ cup thickened cream
- Chives or parsley, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute until softened and translucent approx. 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the tomatoes and season to taste. Add the bay leaf, sugar and chicken stock then stir as you bring mixture to the boil.
- When the soup is boiling reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Take off the heat and remove bay leaf. Pour half of the soup into a food processor and process until smooth. (For safety take the centre plastic piece from the lid to allow the steam to escape and cover with a tea towel to stop splatter).
- Strain the soup and repeat the process for the remaining soup. Return the strained soup to the pot and stir in the Lirah Gourmet Aged Balsamic. Bring the soup back to the simmer and cook for a few more minutes. Stir in the cream and serve immediately in warm bowls topped with chives or parsley and cheese toasties on the side!