This gorgeous soup tastes as if it is from a café on the streets of France! The sweetness of the caramelised onions combined with the tang of our Lirah Aged Balsamic is a delicious flavour combination. This soup will make a wonderful entrée at your next dinner party. Bon Appetit!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 kg brown onions, halved & thinly sliced
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup Lirah Gourmet Aged Balsamic
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
For Cheese & Baguette Topping
- 1 baguette, toasted (see method below)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 slices Swiss Cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- In a heavy based saucepan heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add the onions and 1 teaspoon of salt. Lower the heat slightly and cook approx. 30 minutes until onions are beginning to caramelise and darken in colour.
- Add the Lirah Gourmet Aged Balsamic and stir, loosening any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add both stocks, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, then simmer until slightly reduced approx. another 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Preheat oven grill.
- Divide soup evenly between 8 heatproof bowls then top each bowl with 2 slices of toasted baguette (see method below).
- Cover the baguette with a slice of Swiss cheese and then grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
To Toast Baguette
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut baguette into 2cm slices and brush each slice with olive oil.
- Arrange on a tray, in a single layer, and bake for approx. 15 minutes until golden. Set aside for later.