This relish is so good on a home-made burger, enhances a cheese platter or serve with your steak straight off of the BBQ. It also works well with chicken and fish or you could add to some sour cream to make a beetroot dip.
- 750g beetroot, peeled
- 1 brown onion, quartered
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 cups Lirah Gourmet Aged Balsamic
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 whole cloves
- 5cm piece orange peel
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 5 sterilised jars
- Grate beetroot and onion in a food processor.
- Heat oil in large frying pan and fry mustard seeds until fragrant.
- Add all remaining ingredients including Lirah Gourmet Aged Balsamic and bring to the boil, with your lid on, over medium heat.
- Simmer for 30 minutes until beetroot has softened and the liquid has reduced and thickened.
- Pour into sterilised jars, seal with a lid and allow to cool.